Wednesday, August 19, 2009

New Recipes!







So I have been playing around in the kitchen lately. These recipes came out of desperation for something new. I didn't think about taking pictures and such until after, but I have fallen in love with this chicken salad!

Chicken Salad...Mer style:

The only thing I have ever had against Chicken Salad was celery. I don't care for the taste of celery...never have....so I really wanted chicken salad today and I'm too cheap to go buy some from golden chick (which it's very good there). So I scoped out what we had left in the fridge and I believe I've stumbled upon a great lunch staple!


What you need:
approx 2 cups Chicken ( I had some left over from a rotisserie) cut into chunks **it's good if you have SOME dark meat in there
1/2 granny smith apple cut into chunks (serve the rest on the side of your plate for good garnish)
10 grapes cut in half
pecans or walnuts
badia seasoning

mayo with olive oil
Grands* Wheat biscuits

Mix together your chicken chunks and apple. Add a couple of teaspoons of mayo to mix together well. Mix in your grapes and pecans. Add mayo to the consistency of you liking. Sprinkle with seasoning and stir together. Serve on Grands wheat biscuits and voila!

The second recipe I didn't get a picture of, but it was really good as well!

Fajita Pasta Salad

I had bought some fajita meat, but realized too late that I didnt have enough to make for everyone, so I had to think fast.

What you need:
Lettuce (i used iceburg)
fajita meat (about 3/4 of a pound or more)
macaroni noodles- shell shaped
1 granny smith apple
cheese
Kroger's avacado ranch dressing (this totally makes it)
Badia Seasoning
lemon or lime
whole wheat tortillas

Wash and shred your lettuce while the pasta cooks. Brown and season your fajita meat with the badia. Cut up your apple into small chunks. Put your lettuce in a large bowl and add the fajita meat. Drain and cool (a little bit) your pasta and add it to the bowl. You may add bell peppers if you like...we don't. Add in your apples and cheese. Squeeze about half a lemon or lime over the mixture and toss. Season a little more with the Badia and serve with dressing and tortilla chips (see below). The lemon keeps the lettuce from browning.

Whole wheat tortilla chips. Take a few tortillas out of the package and cut into quarters with a pizza cutter. Lay on a baking sheet and either spray with olive oil or spread some butter/margarine on top. Sprinkle with salt or seasoning of your choice and toast in the oven @ 350. Once edges are light brown take out of the oven and serve with your salad.



Hope you like!!!

No comments: